Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Views on THe taking of Pelham 123

The Taking of Pelham 123 (Original)
When most people think of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, they think of the film staring Denzel Washington, not Walter Matthau. I just wanted to say, having seen both versions of the film, through my honest opinion, I think the original is much better than the remake. Many people may disagree with me on this, but as I've learned growing up in life, everyone has their own opinion. There are a few reasons why I think the original is better than the remake. I will get to those very shortly. Again, most people have to remember that the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123 was done in the 1970s, which means that this version is definitely going to be more over the top than the remake was in the summer of 2009.
One of the first reasons why I believe that this version is better is because of the cast that appears in this movie. Starting off, the star of the film is Walter Matthau as Zachary Garber. With Matthau as the lead in this film, you know that something can and will always happen. Not only that, he will somehow get his way, whether other people want him to or not.
Also in the cast for this film is Martin Balsam, who some people may remember as the foreman in the Henry Fonda film 12 Angry Men. Balsam plays the character of Mr. Green. He is the second in command to Mr. Blue on the job to hijack a New York City train. He is the only one who winds up getting caught. Why? Go ahead I'll wait while you ask yourself. OK the answer, he has a cold and is heard sneezing over the radio on the train a few times by Matthau's character. This is what gets him caught, as I mentioned before.
Another famous name is Jerry Stiller. Of course as many people know is the father of actor Ben. As the film goes along we find out that he is one of the transit officers working along with Garber. His is Garber's second in command.
Earl Hindman, who most people remember as Wilson W. Wilson, Jr., or simply Wilson, from the TV Show Home Improvement makes an appearance as Mr. Blue. You can tell that it is him by the sound of his voice. While watching this movie, I couldn't buy Hindman as a criminal of any kind.
All of these different people helped make this movie over the top, eccentric, and suspenseful. Let's see if you agree with me.

No comments: